Posted May 11, 2022Support Workers
Business: Nicola Valley Shelter and Support Society
Address: Merritt, B.C.
TagsAdministrative Social Services Community Caregiver
Nicola Valley Shelter and Support Society
Box 424, Merritt, BC, V1K 1B8
The Nicola Valley Shelter and Support Society is seeking applications for Support Workers to fill; overnight/.graveyard shift positions, in our 24- hour low barrier shelter.
Applicants are required to
• Pass and maintain a clear Criminal Record Check
• Hold or be willing to obtain a valid First Aid Certificate
Preferred qualifications and experience:
• 2-5 years’ experience working with individuals with mental health and / or addictions in a front-line support role or a combination of post- secondary education and experience.
• Sound knowledge and understanding of the systemic, cultural and individual barriers facing the homeless and those with mental health and substance use disorders.
• Conflict resolution training or experience preferred
• Trauma informed practice training or experience preferred
Skills and Abilities
• Able to deal with a wide variety of clients in a non-judgmental and compassionate manner
• Ability to establish and maintain professional boundaries in working with clients.
• Ability and willingness to perform light housekeeping and occasional lifting up to 30 pounds independently.
• Knowledge of community resources in the Nicola Valley.
• Ability to assess emergency situations and respond effectively.
• Ability to work effectively as part of a team and independently
• Strong communication, organizational, time management and problem-solving skills
• Reliable and flexible self-starter with the ability to multitask
• Provides consistent coverage for assigned shifts, working within the team and independently to complete all shift tasks.
• Monitors and supervises shelter and client affairs, assists clients of the shelter with needs and questions and maintains order in accordance with Nicola Valley Shelter and Support Society.
• Receives new clients, completes intake paperwork, and orients new clients to the shelter.
• Enforces shelter policies and follows staff polices and procedures.
• Performs general administrative functions such as noting within the communication logs, answering the phone and responding to in-person inquiries in a professional manner. Provides appropriate information and referrals for those who need other resources.
• Monitors the activities of clients to ensure the safety of clients, volunteers and staff.
• Helps clients resolve any issues as they may arise
• Provides crisis intervention as needed, including determining when it is necessary to involve other staff, administration, or the authorities.
• Maintains written and oral communication of incidents in accordance with policies.
• Reports any problems to the Shelter Manager.
• Completes work time sheets bi-weekly
• Attends staff meetings and participates in activities designated by Shelter Manager.
• Other duties as may be assigned by the Shelter Manager.
Cover letters and resumes will be accepted until the position(s) are filled
In person: 2350 Voght St
By email to: email@example.com