Posted Aug 5, 2022Overnight Support Workers
Business: Nicola Valley Shelter & Support Society
Address: Merritt, BC
TagsOn Going Positions Caregiver Various Job Postings Social Services Community Non-profit
Nicola Valley Shelter and Support Society
The Nicola Valley Shelter and Support Society is seeking applications for Support Workers to fill; full time, part time and casual positions, for overnight shifts in our 24- hour low barrier shelter.
Applicants are required to
• Pass and maintain a clear Criminal Record Check
• Hold or be willing to obtain a valid First Aid Certificate
Preferred qualifications and experience:
• 2-5 years’ experience working with individuals with mental health and / or addictions in a front-line support role or a combination of post- secondary education and experience.
• Sound knowledge and understanding of the systemic, cultural, and individual barriers facing the homeless and those with mental health and substance use disorders.
• Conflict resolution training or experience preferred
• Trauma informed practice training or experience preferred
Skills and Abilities
• Able to deal with a wide variety of clients in a non-judgmental and compassionate manner
• Ability to establish and maintain professional boundaries in working with clients.
• Ability and willingness to perform light housekeeping and occasional lifting to 30 pounds independently.
• Knowledge of community resources in the Nicola Valley.
• Ability to assess emergency situations and respond effectively.
• Ability to work effectively as part of a team and independently
• Strong communication, organizational, time management and problem-solving skills
• Reliable and flexible self-starter with the Ability to multitask
• Provides consistent coverage for assigned shifts, working within the team and independently to complete all shift tasks.
• Monitors and supervises shelter and client affairs, assists clients of the shelter with needs and questions and maintains order in accordance with Nicola Valley Shelter and Support Society.
• Receives new clients, completes intake paperwork, and orients new clients to the shelter.
• Enforces shelter polices and follows staff polices and procedures.
• Performs general administrative functions such as noting within the communication logs, answering the phone and responding to in-person inquires in a professional manner. Provides appropriate information and referrals for those who need other resources.
• Monitors the activities of clients to ensure the safety of clients, volunteers and staff.
• Helps clients resolve any issues as they may arise
• Provides crisis intervention as needed, including determining when it is necessary to involve other staff, administration, or the authorities.
• Maintains written and oral communication of incidents in accordance with polices.
• Reports any problems to the Shelter Manager.
• Completes work time sheets bi-weekly
• Attends staff meetings and participates in activities designated by Shelter Manager.
• Other duties as may be assigned by the Shelter Manager.
Cover letters and resumes will be accepted until the position(s) are filled
In person: 2350 Voght St
By email to: email@example.com