Posted Mar 9, 2023General Maintenance Worker
Business: Ask Wellness Society
Address: Merritt, BC
General Maintenance Worker
Reports To: Coordinator of Property Maintenance and Cleaning and the Director of Operations, Merritt
Term: Permanent Full-Time (37.5 hours per week)
Hours: Monday through Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm with ½ hour paid break.
May be required to work evenings and hours to fluctuate seasonally.
Wage Range: $23.13 up to $26.97 based on education and related experience
The ASK Wellness Society is an Accredited not-for-profit organization. Through the generous support of funders, we assist those who are marginalized and at-risk to strengthen the communities we serve (Kamloops, Merritt, and Penticton). We provide housing and support to those who are facing homelessness/at risk of homelessness and support those who may use substances, mental health challenges, harm reduction, health education and ultimately provide the skills to re-enter the workforce.
What We Offer:
- Competitive benefits including but not limited to dental, vision, physiotherapy, massage, and fertility upon eligibility.
- Municipal Pension Plan upon eligibility.
- On-site training and development opportunities such as Violence Prevention, Cultural Awareness and 2SLGBTQ+ training.
- A culture of equality, inclusion, and diversity including paid cultural sensitivity days.
- Accidental death insurance and Wellness plan benefit.
- Vacation entitlements for Part-Time and Full-Time employees.
Effective November 1, 2021, the Society requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by Health Canada). Full vaccination will be required before commencing employment with the Society unless a legal exemption is obtained.
Position Summary: As a General Maintenance Worker you will work alongside the ASK Wellness Society Property Services Department and Merritt Team to complete repairs related to buildings and grounds in one or more areas such as repairs, electrical, plumbing, painting and groundskeeping. Service delivery is based on a client-centered, trauma-informed and non-judgmental perspective.
Typical Duties Include:
- Establishes, monitors, and carries out preventative maintenance procedures and schedules for buildings, equipment and grounds. Ensures building and equipment meet all safety, security and fire regulations and policies.
- Make recommendations for major repairs and purchases to the Coordinator of Property Maintenance and Cleaning and/or the Director of Operations, Merritt.
- Perform carpentry, electrical, painting, mechanical and plumbing maintenance and repairs such as repairing furniture, constructing shelves, installing switches, replacing plugs and other basic appliance repairs.
- Complete tasks such as but not limited to applying paint and other finishes, repairing drywall, disassembling, and reassembling, replacing sinks and toilets.
- Monitor work performed by contractors, prepares estimates of labour and material costs to submit to Property Services.
- Collect and removes garbage and recyclable materials and ensures the safe disposal of hazardous waste.
- Clean external areas such as entranceways, sidewalks and parking lots using manual and power brooms, rakes, shovels and other equipment to remove dirt, leaves, snow and other refuse.
- Perform minor gardening and lawn maintenance tasks such as mowing, weeding, pruning and watering.
- Complete and maintain related records such as online work order requests, mileage and critical incident reports.
- Transport equipment, furniture and supplies manually and/or using aides such as dollies and cart.
- Operate a motor vehicle to pick up and move goods and supplies.
- Ensure compliance with all Society supportive standards, policies, and procedures.
- Represent the maintenance department at Society Safety Meetings when requested.
- When requested, be a member of the Society’s Performance and Quality Improvement (PQI) team.
- Ensure compliance with all Society policies and procedures.
- Other duties which may or may not be outlined within this job description.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Grade 12, plus related vocational training such as a building maintenance course an asset.
- One (1) year recent related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience required.
- Knowledge of mental health/addiction and homelessness an asset.
- Ability to adapt in time-sensitive situations.
- Understands and maintains professional boundaries.
- Valid driver’s license, safe driving record and reliable/appropriate transportation with business use coverage.
- Must pass an acceptable criminal record check for the vulnerable sector.
- Occupational First Aid Level 1 required.
- Readiness to complete in-house online training within the first month of employment.
- As Program Participants are allowed to have pets, it is noted that this is a pet-friendly environment.
How to apply: Please submit your application with a detailed cover letter and resume with the reference “General Maintenance Worker- Merritt” to email@example.com no later than February 27, 2023, at noon with interviews set to take place the following week. You may also apply directly online at https://askwellness.ca/careers/
The ASK Wellness Society offers assistance from an Employment Advisor.
If you self-identify as Indigenous (First Nations, Métis, or Inuit) and/or would like assistance with the application process, job readiness, interview readiness or tips for resume and cover letter writing, we encourage you to contact us, and you will be redirected to our Employment Advisor.
The ASK Wellness Society is dedicated to promoting diversity/multiculturalism with inclusion as one of our Core Values. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or age.