Posted Mar 23, 2023Seasonal Maintenance Crew Leader (97706)
Business: BC Public Service
Address: Merritt, BC
Recreation Sites and Trails BC seeks outdoor enthusiasts to lead crews across the province.
This is a stellar opportunity to gain experience in BC’s outdoor recreation sector as you support the Recreation Sites and Trails team in managing and maintaining BC’s backcountry recreation sites and trails by leading a Seasonal Maintenance Crew.
The Seasonal Maintenance Crew Leader will provide leadership, supervision, training, coaching and general oversight to a field-based team consisting of two Seasonal Maintenance Crew Members (Park Assistant 6). The position plans and assigns field work and tasks associated with recreation site and trail maintenance and repair; coordinates and interacts with recreation staff, community groups and the public; and ensures the safe use of equipment, machinery and tools used in day-to-day work activities.
• Degree or diploma in Outdoor Recreation, Tourism, Forestry or Natural Resource Management; OR
• Grade 12 graduation or GED AND two years of relevant work or volunteer experience.
• Preference may be given to applicants who have a degree or diploma in the above fields AND two years or more experience.
Relevant experience may include:
• Experience leading others. This may be in an academic or work-related setting and may include peers, workers, or volunteers.
• Experience planning, researching, organizing, and implementing projects.
• Experience interacting with others and communicating with a variety of stakeholders and the public.
• Experience working in an outdoor setting (e.g. trail building, operational roles in National or Provincial Parks, natural resource field work, field research, or other remote work).
• Experience working with hand and power tools (carpentry or construction, trail building, chainsaw use, operation of small engines).
• Experience working in a recreation environment (e.g., parks, campsites, tourism centres, outdoor sporting or activity centres, or other recreation facilities).
Preference may be given to applicants with the following:
• Preference may be given to those with higher levels of first aid certification (e.g. Occupational First Aid Level 3 or Wilderness First Aid).
• Preference may be given to those with 2 or more years of relevant experience.
• Available to work continuously for a 4-month period, from April 24, 2023 through to September 1, 2023.
• Must be physically fit: able to lift and carry heavy loads and hike across challenging terrain for up to 10 hours per work day.
• This position requires you to have a valid FULL BC driver’s license (minimum class 5), or an equivalent class driver's license from another province or jurisdiction.
• Completion of a valid Workers’ Compensation Board [WCB] Occupational First Aid (OFA) Level 1 certification during the work term. The Branch will provide OFA1 certification if not possessed at the time of appointment.
For questions regarding this position, please contact Kelsey.Knoll@gov.bc.ca <mailto:email@example.com> .
About this Position:
There are currently up to 13 positions available in the following communities: Campbell River, Chilliwack, Clearwater, Dawson Creek, Kamloops, Merritt, Prince George, Smithers, Squamish, Terrace, Vanderhoof, Vernon, and Williams Lake.
An eligibility list may be established for future opportunities.