Posted May 25, 2023Title & Rights Stewardship
Business: Scw’exmx Tribal Council
Address: #202-2090 Coutlee Avenue,
Scw’exmx Tribal Council (STC)
Title & Rights Stewardship
P.O. BOX 188, MERRITT, BC V1K 1B8 Phone (250) 378-4235 Fax (250) 378-9119
Title & Rights Analyst
Closing date: Once a position is filled
Scw’exmx Tribal Council (STC) / Title & Rights Stewardship department requires a Title & Rights Analyst to join our team that will be responsible for review of notifications submitted by federal/provincial, regional, and municipal governments and industry-specific to water within the Nlaka’pamux and Syilx sovereign Traditional Territory and provides operational support to STC member bands decision-making processes. The Title & Rights Analyst will work with the T&R Stewardship team to assist in member bands Free, Prior, and Informed Consent processes to protect and advocate for Aboriginal Rights and Title.
Job Duties and Skills:
- Knowledge of referral/consultation processes is a benefit
- Communicate with community representatives/leadership regarding projects
- Communicate with industry and governments regarding projects
- Follow procedural duties as set out by the Title & Rights Stewardship structure
- Provide analysis of adverse title and right impacts with preliminary process
- Understanding of Aboriginal Title and Rights, Inherent Rights and Title
- Responsible for level 2, 3, and 4 applications from provincial governments and industry submitted to the Title & Rights Stewardship department.
- Carry out processes for Free, Prior, and Informed Consent (FPIC) decision–making for member bands and from the Decision – Making Policy
- Provide support/information sharing/recommendation to leadership tables/bands/governing bodies
- Coordinate and/or facilitates meetings
- Produce Initial Responses to industry and governments on adverse impacts to inherent rights and title and the next steps that are required for FPIC
- Ability to adapt to on-the-job training of required skills with indigenous laws and principles, consultation processes, FPIC, and the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples and Aboriginal Case Law.
Please drop off your resume at Scw’exmx Tribal Council front desk. Or email Jeanette McCauley, Title, and Rights Stewardship Manager